Tuesday, January 8, 2008

At First I Prayed for Light

At first I prayed for light: could I but see the way,
How gladly, swiftly would I walk to everlasting day!

And next I prayed for strength: that I might tread the road
With firm, unfaltering feet, and win the Heaven's serene abode.

And then I asked for faith: could I but trust my God,
I'd live infolded in His peace, though foes were all abroad.

But now I pray for love: deep love to God and man;
A living love that will not fail, however dark His plan.

And light and strength and faith are opening everywhere!
God waited patiently until I prayed the larger prayer.

Hymn 488 in the Adventist Hymnal

7 comments:

Paul said...

Nice to see you in Blog land.

Caitlin said...

how beautiful...
the larger prayer.

Thrushsong said...

Compare that to "Lead Kindly Light" (#403 in the old Church Hymnal) and reflect on the fact that it was written by an individual who felt led to leave the Anglican church for Catholicism. Your blog is a blessing to me.

Kristin said...

That's beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Personally, I've just discovered hymn #498 and I think the words to that are amazing.

Miss Jenni said...

Do you know the tune to this song? It sounds beautiful.

Caitlin said...

The tune is beautiful,
It was completely new to me, so
I went and learned it!

Thank you for the inspired encouragement!

laurettabear said...

Felicia!! I'm glad I found your blog! It's nice to have contact again. I hope that all is going well for you. I miss our thatcher worships. I hope that God is blessing you in all that you do.